Saturday, December 25, 2010

11 Months of Updates

I can't believe I haven't seriously updated this since January 30th (The Promised Update). SO much has changed in the past eleven months that I don't even know where to start!

I guess I'll begin with my usual laundry list =)

School:
I'm a SENIOR! School this year has been difficult but incredibly rewarding at the same time. I'm taking classes that I love (English Tragedy, Modern Latin American History, Biology, Physics, Calculus Theory II, and Honor Choir) and doing quite well in them (though we'll see just *how* well when I get my finals back next week)! Calc Theory has been the most difficult class, as our teacher sometimes sets his expectations too high for our abilities. Last test, for example, the class average was a shocking 35%. Luckily, MrL allowed us to retake the test, but I still ended up with quite a low score, which brought down my semester grade. I hope that next semester will be better!

I've also been extremely busy with college applications, and after visiting Duke and researching the university more, decided to apply Early Decision in October. I just received my acceptance on the 14th and am SO excited to attend my first choice university! We are having a little worry, though, about finances and financial aid, so cross your fingers that it all works out =)

Because of four AP classes and college applications, school work has been very busy. I haven't had a lot of time for having fun with friends, but hope to rectify that next semester.

Friends:
Friends and relationships have remained quite the same. H, R, V and I are still "besties," though V doesn't spend much time with the group. T and I are still a little weird around each other, but it's gotten MUCH better and has been WAY less awkward. I've truly learned to appreciate my good friends and have already started to miss them for when we all part ways next year. I do hope that we will stay in touch and remain friends, but I know how much college will change things.

On a slightly different note (one I don't think I've brought up on this blog yet!), there have been a few guys in my life over the past few months. I met J1 on a family river rafting trip, and we hit it off right away. Spent a couple of weeks talking and going out with him, which were really fun =) Unfortunately, summer and summer plans made us drift apart, but we still chat once in a while. I had known J2 (I don't know what is up with all the Js!) for a little while before he went on a trip with my friends, and got to know him much better over the trip.  We had fun and continued hanging out for a few months afterwards, but fell apart when he did something unforgivable. Right now, I'm single, but who knows what will happen in the future ;)

Riding:
As I had planned, I got back into riding in late March/early April. I began with a new trainer (LH) and have learned so much and have been given so many opportunities from her over the past months. In May, she helped me find two catch-rides: Q, an experienced eventer with an amateur owner who wanted him to go around the course with another rider, and B, a big lovable boy who took me clean through my first Training and even earned me 4th place! Since that May event, I competed out-of-state with another catch-ride, S, one of LH's own horses. In order to pay for the expensive out-of-state event, LH let me groom for her, which was an incredible experience. I loved being so up close with the highest levels of the sport.

LH has been EXTREMELY generous, and because she knows that I pay for all of my riding myself, she has hooked me up with many jobs, including riding for her, grooming for her, tutoring her daughter, and even an independent contracting position with one of her other clients! Additionally, when I didn't have another horse to ride, she has given me her personal horse to lease and compete for the next season. F is an amazingly talented, yet opinionated, thoroughbred, and he has taught me so much in the last four months, and we've begun to develop a close partnership. I can't wait to show him next year!

I cannot thank LH enough for all that she has done for me, but try to every day =)

Other:
Finally, I want to wish everyone a very merry Christmas (if you celebrate), and Happy Holidays! I'm spending Christmas with family friends, including baby A celebrating his first holiday =) The past four days with them have been magical, and just what I needed after a long first semester.

After this long post, I'm starting to remember why I liked writing this blog so much. I don't think there will be quite as long a hiatus until next post ;)

Love, as always,

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment